Martin Cottingham - Professional - Investment Management
Martin Cottingham is a Principal specializing in transaction management in Avison Young’s New York office. A real estate veteran with over 23 years of experience, Marty’s success leading major initiatives at Avison Young is the product of his hard work, knowledge of the industry and unique background.
Marty is a preferred provider for national transactions for JPMorgan Chase, providing an array of services including office and retail leasing, consulting and sales in cities across the country.
His tireless efforts working with NYU Winthrop University Hospital’s real estate task force reduced portfolio operating costs across the owned and leased facilities in the hospital’s network, enabling the institution to identify over $5 million in savings. Marty also worked with city officials to transform vacant lots on Brooklyn’s Coney Island Boardwalk into the stunning 5,000-seat Ford Amphitheater.
Marty’s accomplishments have been recognized by the Real Estate Board of New York, which named him a finalist for the Most Ingenious Deal of the Year Award for arranging the relocation of the National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) headquarters from Harlem to 1133 Avenue of the Americas. The NBPA project also received the Design & Construction of a New Facility Award from the New York Chapter of the International Facility Management Association.
Previously, Marty was a Managing Director of the Corporate Services Group, for Grubb & Ellis (now Newmark), where he oversaw the firm’s corporate services in the Northeast region. Prior to joining Grubb & Ellis, Marty was a Managing Director at Bear Stearns & Company, where he was responsible for all global facility management, property management, design, development, construction, facility planning, furniture procurement and corporate services units for a real estate portfolio totaling more than 4 million square feet. Prior to being named Managing Director, Marty oversaw all site activities for the development of Bear Stearns’ 1.2 million-square-foot world headquarters at 383 Madison Avenue.
- Appointed to the New York State Real Estate Board by former Gov. George Pataki
- President – Irish American Building Society
- Board Member – LaSalle Academy, Futures in Education, YMCA
- Public Policy Committee – CoreNet Global
- Member – U.S.-Ireland Council
Leadership awards and recognition
- Connect Media Top Broker Award – 2018
- Avison Young Circle of Excellence, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Avison Young Largest Sale Transaction Award – 2016
- REBNY Most Ingenious Deal of the Year Finalist – 2016
Education and designations
- New York University – M.S., Real Estate Development
- St. Joseph’s College – B.S., Organizational Management
- New York University – Certificate in Construction Management